1 pound bacon, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion chopped or 1/2 large onion
4 garlic cloves
8 potatoes cubed (peeled or unpeeled)
chicken stock (enough to cover potatoes) (4 or cups)
3 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon diced tarragon
3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro or use 1 teaspoon dried parsley as a substitute
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Bake the bacon or cook it in a pan
2. Drain about 1/4 cup of the bacon grease. Use the remaining to saute the celery and onions until onions turns clear. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 to 3 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute 5-8 minutes. Return the bacon in the pan and enough chicken stock to cover the potatoes. Cover and simmer. Wait until the potatoes are tender.
3. In a separate pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in heavy cream, tarragon cilantro (or parsley, you you don't have cilantro).
4. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
5. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture.
6.Puree about 1/2 the soup OR mashed the potatoes.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with a piece of bread.
9. When reheating the soup, if it gets too thick, add some milk before heating.